Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sun Salutation B (Surya Namaskara)

During the beginning of many flow classes and as part of the "warm up" of an Ashtanga practice, two types of  Asana  sequences called Sun Salutation A and Sun Salutation B (Surya Namaskara A & B) are practiced after initial stretching.

Sun Salutation A is a series of nine movements that  I generally practice slowly and deliberately in order to further stretch out my muscles and to prepare my body for the practice that is going to follow.    It is standard to do five sequences and I really like the gentleness and quietness of this flow as I  feel my body beginning to warm up.   As in all flow practices,  it is very important to breath properly and each movement (with the exception of Down Dog which gets five breaths) is done with a single designated inhale or exhale.

Sun Salutation B extends the flow of the first series and incorporates 17 separate movements.    Like Sun Salutation A,  one generally does five sequences.     With Sun Salutation B,   the pace moves more quickly and it takes concentration to acclimate the breath to the movements.   Two single breath (one on each side ) Warrior One poses are done and, additionally, the series also includes three Chaturanga and three Upward Dog Asanas.   The movement  from Down Dog to Warrior One to Chaturanga then Upward dog and then back to Downward Dog are all done with one breath per pose and this is where the beauty of the Sun Salutation B lies.



The core of Surya Namaskara B requires three Chaturanga Asanas (Astau) and two Warrior One  (Ekdasa) Asanas





With the concentration on  the flow (and there are no breaks between each sequence) and the breath,  once can feel like you are floating from pose to pose.   It is a great way to warm up and the sequence develops strength, endurance and flexibility.   The five breaths taken during Downward Dog after both Warrior One poses are really needed to get ready for the next sequence..

When I first started practicing and followed a class where the B series was done in a quick deliberate pace,  I really struggled.   I knew when I did the full five series I was getting a physical workout from the flow and a mental workout by having to concentrate on my breathing.     As I have progressed in my practice,  the challenge to the B series makes it my favorite "Asana"  even though it is 17 separate ones.  I will never be perfect,  I struggle to move in and out of Warrior One with the breath and have a hard time smoothly moving to the pose on my right side with regularity.  I try, and that is what is important.

Five Sun Salutation A and B poses really get the body moving.   If you do Chaturanga properly,  the combined series gives you 20 slow pushups.     When I am done with both series,  I know I am warm and ready for the challenges of the core of my practice. 

Namaste.  


No comments:

Post a Comment