Saturday, March 16, 2013

Starting.



Thanks to the miracle of the modern internet  and more importantly YouTube  and the purchase of a $15 Yoga mat at the local Dunhams here in the North Hills of Pittsburgh,  I started my quest to practice Yoga with a search   "Beginning  Yoga" .   On YouTube, there were many hits but a 52 minute video entitled “Basic Yoga Workout for Dummies” stood out.  It was a very simple with a very lovely woman named Sara Ivanhoe.    She patiently showed a number of poses that became the first steps of my Yoga practice.     Somewhere in my files is a power point presentation of every pose I learned from that first video.    Sara introduced the daily dozen and they were so new to me.   A new lexicon and the first steps. 

 Yoga for Dummies

Cat
Mountain
Standing forward bend
Lunge
Tree
Standing Side Stretch
Downward Facing Dog
Cobra
Child’s Pose
Seated Spinal Twist
Seated Forward Bend
Final Relaxation or Shavasna

I think that I practiced these for a few weeks but I also tried a second video by her.
There is a second Yoga for Dummies video that showed the ubiquitous Sun Salute or Sun Salutation.   This is the first real flow that I learned and it is something that I practice almost every day.      It also has the added benefit of Sara again.

 Between these two videos,  plus some research,  I began to get the confidence that I needed to get out of my living room and try to find a class.    I also gained the confidence and habit of practicing at home.    This became a very important part of my practice.   My practice still centers around what I do at home,  and class is supplementary and a good way to learn new poses and to get a heated class.


Here are some links for other starting classes on YouTube.

 1 Hr 12 Minute 20 Pose Beginner Class

 40 Minute Beginner Practice

20 Minute Yoga for Complete Beginners


No comments:

Post a Comment