Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Cardio and Yoga

I personally prefer very rigorous Yoga practice that includes at least a half hour non-stop flow prior to any holding positions.     This allows my heartbeat to raise to the point where I believe that I am getting the continued aerobic exercise that I need.   It also allows me fully warm up prior to moving to complex binds  (well semi-complex to be honest),  twists,  stretches and strength holds.   Some difficult positions do raise your heart beat  but then you generally stop and move on to another position after letting your body relax.

One of the things I figured out pretty quickly is that many public classes are not very cardio taxing.    The teacher may do a few minutes of sun salutations but if not done in a quick manner and, if not done for a significant period of time,  I walk away from the class feeling less than taxed.    A few of the classes at my studio are a real physical challenge from the aerobic perspective, but a majority of them are not.     Thus this again stresses the need for a home practice as the primary part of your practice and the use of the classes as teaching aids and fill ins  (and the social part of Yoga as well) and thus the secondary part of your practice.


No comments:

Post a Comment