Sunday, April 12, 2015

There is always something to learn in your Yoga Practice..

I took a Yin class a few days ago in my home away from home studio in Cleveland, Tennessee.   The class was small and very intimate. The best thing was that  the teacher had the right demeanor for a Yin class and was very knowledgeable.   The fact that she was passionate about Yin was a big plus.

Yin is designed for long holds of poses (3 to 5 minutes is the norm).    The  poses apply moderate stress to the connective tissues ( tendons, fascia, and ligaments) in order to increase flexibility.    The practice is very slow and deliberate and generally is only done with seated and lying down poses. It is a great counterpoint to a rigorous practice.

In addition to introducing a pose that I was not familiar with, the instructor stressed  that we should go into our poses until we meet initial resistance.   After that, we stop and breath ,  and then slowly fold into the pose until we reach a level of discomfort  that we can withstand for the balance of the hold time.   I really had not thought  about how to best get into a pose (except that one should not force yourself down)  and this way really hit home with me.   It is something that I have added to my Yoga toolbox.

Every time I practice,  I learn something new.   A new pose,  something new about a pose that I have done a thousand times,  something new about myself.  Even standing in something as familiar as Warrior 2,  I still learn something   How to better hold my arms, keep my shoulders relaxed,  remembering to go deeper,   understanding my limits.     

This constant learning is why I love going to foundation classes.    Many teachers break down poses to their component parts,  and thus I understand how I can better do that pose.    A few weeks ago,  the instructor focused on the being cognizant of where your hands and feet were and making sure that they were actively engaged in the pose.    Because of this ,  I concentrate about making sure that my hands remain open and my feet are where they should be.    Additionally,  I also constantly do an up and down scan of my body making sure that everything is where I think it should be.     That little tip really has allowed me to increase my focus while in a pose.  

Namaste..







No comments:

Post a Comment