Saturday, July 13, 2013

Hot Yoga Classes: Not for the out of shape.

I am on the road for July so much of my practice is in the place I am renting.     I have been looking about for a class to take  so that I can get some human contact during a practice or two.   There is a studio not to far from me that offers 2 or 3 hot Vinyasa flow classes each night.   According to their website,  it is anywhere between 95 and 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Most of the hot classes that I have taken have been in the low 90's and I find that more than adequate.   The heat does make things much more difficult  (especially if you do not hydrate well before hand) and it is something that does  (in my opinion) take away from the yoga experience and makes it somewhat an endurance test if you are not used to exercising in that type of heat.     I personally prefer a class in the mid 80s because you are still warm but the heat is not oppressive.    Also, when the class is very hot, you sweat a ton,   your mat gets slippery unless you have a yoga towel, and any pose that requires you to balance using contact between different parts of your body  (Crane for example) ,  becomes more difficult because of the lack of friction due to the fact that your body is covered in sweat.   When you get out of the class, however, it is a good feeling.

There are some yoga styles  (Bikram especially) where the room temperature is > 100 degrees.   I think Bikram is done at 105 degrees and higher.   Why do they do this,  self torture I guess.  There is an argument that you sweat out the toxins in your body but again I believe it takes away from the class.   I read in the NY Times that people are pushing the heat envelope over the 110 degree mark.   

NY Times Article on Heated Classes

 Also,  if you are not in good shape,  a hot class can be dangerous.   I am quoting Wikipedia here  (which we all know is not the full truth on anything)


"there is a risk of hyperthermia which is overheating of the body. Symptoms include nausea, dizziness, or fainting, which can lead to a heat stroke. People with heart problems and high blood pressure or those who can't bear high temperatures, should be especially careful with hot yoga."


So,  I do take hot classes but I do not see the need for extreme  temperatures.     I will try one of the 95 - 100 degree classes to see how the are.   I would prefer lower temperatures,  but who knows I may actually like it. 

If you are not in very good shape,   I would stay away from hot classes for a while.   They can be un-fun, possibly dangerous,   and can turn you off from Yoga.  Even the Bikram website says

"It is not unusual to feel nauseous or dizzy during your first class.  Practicing yoga in a heated room reveals to us our present condition, and inspires us take much better care of ourselves."   Namaste...  


No comments:

Post a Comment