Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Work : Reducing the Stress with Practice

I am in the middle of a very stressful project that pretty much occupies my mind every day now.  After coming home tired and stressed, it really important that I take the time to set up my mat and practice.     Now that the weather is cold,  there is a disincentive to go out to my studio to take a class so if I do not go out,  I have to take the time and practice at home.    A deep yin session really relaxes you and a hard flow video(I found  a great one on YouTube)  really gets you invigorated.    The best thing about the flow class is that the pace is so fast and you are working so hard, that you pretty much focus on your poses and your breathing.  It is really great and for almost 2 hours nothing else matters  (but be forewarned,  it is not an easy class).  The class is so good that I have taken to alternating this with a Ashtanga flow session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89dlGeU1OuU

 
The biggest draw to going to a class at my studio is that  the hot classes are really great this time of year.  95 degrees really feels great when it's 20 degrees outside.   You are so warm and glowing when you leave.  It is a great feeling.   Now I know why the Scandinavians like the sauna snow routine.

It would be easy to blow off practice saying you are too tired and too hungry,  but your practice keeps you grounded, settled,  calmed  and invigorated.     Even 30 minutes doing Yin or a quick flow is a great way to end your work day.

Namaste...



No comments:

Post a Comment